The Dream Surf Charter - Mimpi, Mentawai. Indonesia
Mimpi is a super safe and stable vessel and we aim to take you and your friends to the best waves in the Mentawais creating memories that will last a lifetime and helping you to make your dreams come true. A beautifully crafted surf charter boat specially build for surf trips.
The boat name refers our clients to the realization of a trip desired by every surfer in the Planet. Mimpi means “dream” in Bahasa.
The standard trip duration includes 11 days of surfing – 12 nights on the boat overall. Mimpi is a 70′ x 15′ Hardwood boat, custom-built in 2002. It is fitted with all the amenities of home, including full air conditioning, TV, Hard Drive with tons of movies, stereo, fridge, freezer, radar, depth sounder, GPS, VHF/HF radio, 220V generator, life jackets, flares, EPIRB, first-aid kit, tender and outboard. The crew are one of the most experienced crews operating more than 68 years in Mentawai.
A cruising speed of 9 – 10 knots and is powered by two 180 HP engines perfectly suited to attain its optimal hull speed. 2 engines equal much greater safety at sea, as well as increased speed.
Bedroom: Mimpi has 5 double cabins. Four of them with large size bunk beds and one of them with 2 large beds side by side. One of the main features in our boat is the size of the beds which makes our guests very happy and comfortable during their night asleep or those moments you want to rest a bit before the next surfing session.
The Capitan cabin and the crew accommodation spaces are strategically positioned to provide good and safe moving flow around the boat. Respecting guests privacy and space.
The main boat is equipped with 2 x 400cv engines and 2 generators working 8 hours each and providing electricity 24 hours a day for our guest’s comfort. To take our guests from the boat to the waves and back to the boat and to help with photos and filming production, our boat provides 2 extra small boats with 40mph and 15mph engine.
- 2 Bathrooms: One on each side of the boat, at the central area going from the saloon to the bedrooms
- 1 Chilling area out the front that is perfect for watching the waves covered from the sun
- 1 The chilling and living area at the top with seats and where guests will find the surfboards rack and all surfing equipment
- Rooftop: Favorite area where our guests can watch the sunset and the waves drinking a super cold Bintang.
The room where all meals are served during the trip. It has 2 dining tables with long cushioned seats around them for the comfort of our guests. It has a stereo music system and a tv for everyone’s entertainment as well. Kitchen: Fully equipped with stovetop, oven and every other utensil necessary to provide our guests with delicious meals for 11 days and 12 nights.
All meals are prepared by a Chef who aims to satisfy all guests and their personal needs and preferences in regards to the menu. Our meals plan is designed to provide our guests with everything your body needs to experience an intense surf trip in the Mentawai and help them to feel healthy and strong to surf and enjoy their stay on Mimpi for 11 days.
10 spacious beds in five private double cabins
Living room with big comfortable sofas, dining table, and entertainment system
Two bathrooms with showers
Outdoor shower on back deck
Dimensions: 70′ × 15′
Cruising speed: 9-11 knots
Engines: 2 × 180 HP Mitsubishi 6D15
Generators: 20 kVA × 2 Yanmar
Radio: Icom HF and VHF
Radar: Furuno 24 mile
20 person life raft
LED TV, DVD player, amplified stereo system with iPod jack, Play Station 3
Indoor & outdoor stereo speakers
Large shaded top deck area with large dining table wrap around bench seating
17′ fibreglass tender with 40 HP engine and 25 HP back up engine.
The Mentawai islands are one of the most consistent surf destinations in the entire world. It’s broad exposure towards the vast, southern Indian ocean provides these majestic islands with remarkable consistency and quality. There are great waves in this area YEAR-ROUND, because the Indian ocean is the most ultra-active, groundswell producing machine in the world.
During the entire year Saraina Koat Mentawai offers the average surfer the opportunity to score the best waves of their lives on the best local boats operating in the Mentawai islands. The best time of year to come to avoid crowds is October – February because most people are under the misconception that this time of the year has no waves, and extreme weather, but this is false. Because of Mentawai islands proximity in relation to the equator the islands are virtually unaffected by the monsoons which greatly effect other areas of Indonesia. The Indian oceans relentless generation of clean swells year round, and the weather in the islands makes for year round epic surf, and conditions.
In an effort to minimize the exploitation of this sovereign area we have compiled a brief glimpse of seventeen well-known Mentawai Islands surf spots. There is an astonishing number of additional spots which offer an abundance of hollow, glassy barrels constantly evolving around the various moods of the ocean; however, the most important element in the Mentawai Islands experience is that overwhelming feeling of discovery and finding these perfect waves on your own.
- 4 Bobs
- Lance’s Left
- Bank vaults
- Beng Beng
- Lance’s Right
- Rag’s Right
And many more…
LOCATION & GETTING HERE
The Mentawais are a chain of around seventy islands around 150 kilometres from the west coast of Sumatra, in Indonesia.
Siberut, with 4030 square meters, is the biggest island. The other main islands are Sipora, North Pagai (Pagai Utara) and South Pagai (Pagai Selatan). The archipelago is positioned along the Sumatran coast, on the other side of the Mentawai Straight.
The indigenous habitants of the islands are known as “Mentawai People”. Since the first explorers started to visit this area looking for waves in the ’80s and ’90s, the Mentawai Island became a prime surfing location mostly due to a large number of world-class spots and the solid swell consistency.
Even though there are waves breaking all year round, it is from April to October that you will see the large ground swells coming all the way from the bottom of Africa. June, July and August are considered to be the highest surfing season in Indonesia.
The following information is designed to give you a quick, visual insight into what happens between your arrival at the airport and when you get on your surf charter boat. We’re sure you’ll find the people of Padang and our ground staff to be as friendly and accomodating as anywhere else in the world.
- Your flight arrives. Once your flight touches down you are ushered to the baggage claim/customs area.
- Visa fees. If you’ve already entered Indonesia through Jakarta you will not need to pay the US$ 35 visa tax that they collect for your maximum 30 day stay. If this is a direct flight from Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) the first thing you’ll have to do is pay the US$ 35 fee at a special booth set up inside the customs area. Once you’ve paid they give you a special form that you must keep until your departure, we suggest leaving it inside your passport for safe keeping.
- Customs. The fastest and easiest way to make it out of the customs area without having them go through your bags is to get a porter to handle your baggage. They seem to have the right connections because they can get you out of that room as fast as possible, all you have to do is have dollars ready to tip them. Pay careful attention to the porter that carries your bags, the general rule of thumb is to not give them the tip until your boards are loaded on the truck and your bags are stored away where they belong. The maximum tip per guest should be no more than US$ 2, although they may ask you for more, please do not give it to them!
- Meet and Greet. Once you’ve made it outside the customs area you will be met by a representative from Saraina Koat Mentawai. The next thing you need to do is get outside and into the air conditioned cars that are waiting for you.
- The Ride. Once you’ve made it outside and witnessed the hustle and bustle of Padang International Airport you’re ready to get in one of our minivans and get taken to the boat. Before you leave the airport parking lot do a quick spot check to make sure all of your luggage has made it on to the designated transport vehicles. If your boat leaves that afternoon you will be taken straight to the harbor – if you have an overnight stay you will be taken to the Mercury Hotel where we will have a reservation made for you.
- The Harbor. Once you’ve gone straight to the harbor from the airport or from the Mercury Hotel you finally get a chance to see the majestic Indian Ocean and your surf charter boat.
- Time to leave. You’ve waited long enough! Most trips will take off for the overnight haul out to the Mentawai’s very late in the afternoon. The crossing will take about 10-12 hours for everyone because travelling at night requires the boats to go slower. As you settle into your cabins and try to fall asleep you can be content with the fact that the next morning you will be having your first session of the trip and all of the time and effort required to get there will pay off the second you catch that first wave.
WHAT TO BRING
The best advice when packing for a surf trip is to pack as light as possible when most of your time is spent in the water. The following list could help you tracking the items you might need during your stay.
In the Water
• big wave leash (2)
• boardshorts (2)
• fin keys (3)
• fin sets
• helmet (optional)
• leashes (4)
• leash teathers
• long sleeve rash guard (optional)
• reef booties (optional)
• short sleeve rash guard (optional)
• surf hat (optional)
• tropical surf wax
• wax comb
• snorkeling gear (optional. SKIM boats do not carry snorkeling gear for our guests do to sanitary reasons – please bring your own if you’d like to snorkel).
Out of the Water:
• airline tickets (and a copy)
• cash (crisp, new bills)
• Travel Insurance (Assist-Card, World Nomad, any other)
• credit cards
• ding repair kit / sun cure resin
• electricity adaptor (optional)
• long sleeve t-shirt
• moisturizer (optional)
• multi-board travel bag
• nail clippers (optional)
• pain medicine (optional)
• pants (1)
• passport (and a copy)
• prescription medicine (optional)
• shaving kit
• shorts (2)
• socks (3)
• still camera
• sun hat (optional)
• towel (bath)
• t-shirts (3-4)
• travel backpack
• visa (if necessary) (and a copy)
• waterproof jacket (optional).
** The most important thing to remember on this list is to make sure that you have an updated passport and a valid visa if your passport is issued in an obscure country like Sweden. You will not be permitted to enter Indonesia if your passport is going to expire within six months of your arrival or if you are from a country that requires a special visa to enter.
Most people can take care of their visa upon entering Indonesia including citizens of the United States and Australia but before you purchase your airline tickets please check with your local authorities to make sure you’re covered.
PRICES & PACKAGES
12 nights sleeping in the boat and 11 days surfing in the islands
√ Transport of all guests, surfboards and their baggage from the airport to Pasumpahan island (where Mimpi stays anchored) and from the island back to the airport
√ Fish and seafood barbecue in the island before we do the crossing overnight to the Mentawai
√ 3 meals a day + snacks and drinks for 11 days and 12 nights
√ 3 cans of Bintang per day per guest during the trip
√ Professional Photography Package (Your sessions shot from the boat; Your sessions shot from the extra boat in the channel; Your sessions shot from the land; Your sessions shot from the water; Your sessions shot with a drone.
- Mentawai Government Tourism Tax of rp1million (approx. US80)
- Video package: all your sessions shot by a professional cameraman and delivered to you on the last day of the trip