Luxury Addiction Surf Charter - Sumatra, Mentawai. Surfing in Indonesia
Luxury Addiction is owned, operated, and skippered by surfers for surfers. We offer guided surfing charters to the Mentawai Islands and North or South Sumatra. Our trips give you the opportunity to surf the kinds of waves YOU want; from all the world class breaks of the Mentawai, to deserted perfection at rarely surfed destinations all over the Sumatran island chain. Come aboard our luxurious 24 meter (80 ft) high speed catamaran and let our experienced crew take you on the surfing adventure of a lifetime. With over 15 years of combined experience in West Sumatra, our crew are there to get you into the best possible waves on every trip.
- Type of vessel: Catamaran 24m (80ft)
- Beam: 7.9m (26ft)
- Draft: 1.7m (5.6ft)
- Top Speed: 26 Kts laden
- Service Speed: 24 Kts
- Built: 1997 by Sabre Catamarans, Australia
- Complete refit: 2006
- Designer: Sabre Catamarans
- Flag: Australian Flag
- Main engine/s: 2 x MTU 8V M92 (Brand new for 2008)
- Power: 2 x 965 Hp (720 Kw)
- Auxiliary: 2 x Perkins
- Generator: 2 x 30 Kva
- Fuel Capacity: 4 x 2500 L
- Water Capacity: 900 L
- Water Maker: 100 litre/hr
- Tender 1: 4.2 m (14ft) RIB with 60hp mariner engine and center console steering w/ power trim and oil injection
With over 15 years of combined experience in West Sumatra, our crew are there to get you into the best possible waves on every trip.
Addiction’s chief mate, has over 10 years experience working in the Mentawais. He knows all the systems on the boat and is the “right-hand man” in the wheelhouse. He also is a pro at positioning the dinghy in the channel for the perfect video or photo. This is because he is also our photographer. He provides a very cost effective service that will give you 100′s of photos of your surf adventure of a lifetime.
The chef is experienced in all types of western food and Asian-fusion type cuisine. It is a guarantee that his meals will be healthy and fulfilling. Anybody who does a surf trip on Addiction comes off RAVING about the food.
The rest of our crew work very hard to ensure that your trip is a pleasant and hassle free experience that will be remembered for the good people as well as the great surf.
WHAT TO BRING
- Small Torch or head torch
- 2 garbage bags or waterproof bags for wet clothes
- Camera with spare memory cards and battery chargers
- Ipod or MP3 player
- Power adaptor.
*Note: Addiction has 240V power supply through 2 round pin Indonesian power sockets. General adapters are on board for Australian, European and American fittings.
- A few pairs of board shorts
- Surf shirt – preferably with hood
- Surf hat
- Surf booties
- Hat and sunglassess
- T – shirts
- Spray jacket (optional)
- Sandshoes/ thongs/sandals
- Light cotton long pants and long sleeve shirt for maximum mosquito protection if you intend to go ashore.
- Spare leg ropes
- Warm water wax
- Protective Helmet (optional)
- Light wet suit for reef protection (optional)
Fishing and Snorkelling Gear
- Fishing and snorkelling equipment is available free of charge on Addiction.
* Passengers are welcome to bring their own additional equipment
- A personal travellers first-aid kit
- Sea sick tablets
- TeaTree Oil/Betadine or similar for treatment of cuts and abrasions
- Ear drops if you suffer from tropical ear
- Any medication you may need or that your doctor recommends for travelling to Indonesia
Travel insurance It is mandatory for all passengers to be fully covered for Medivac insurance. Padang has limited medical facilities and severely injured passengers are not permitted on commercial aircraft for liability reasons. We strongly recommend your travel insurance also includes all accompanying baggage and trip cancellation and disruption.
LOCATION & GETTING HERE
The Mentawai islands are one of the most consistent surf destinations in the entire world. It’s broad exposure towards the southern Indian ocean provides to these islands waves with remarkable consistency and quality. There are great waves in this area all year. The Indian oceans relentless generation of clean swells year round, and the weather in the islands makes for year round epic surf, and conditions.
Some of the well know spots in mentawai are:
- A Frames
- 4 Bobs
- Lance’s Left
- Beng Beng
- Lance’s Right
- Rag’s Right
A member of the Addiction team will met you at the International Airport in Padang, West Sumatera (airport code: PDG).
When you arrive in Indonesia you get a 30 day Visa that is purchased at the airport before you clear Immigration and Customs. The cost is $US25.
Remember to keep your luggage tickets as these must be shown to exit the terminal building
Passengers should arrive on the first day (preferably late afternoon/evening) of their scheduled charter dates (for example, if your trip is April 11-24, you should arrive on the 11th). Addiction will leave port late on the first day of your trip and steam to be at the first surf break first thing next day.
There is accommodation in Padang however we recommend overnight stays be done in Singapore, KL, Bali, Jakarta etc and arrive in Padang on the first day of your charter.
PRICES & PACKAGES
Full boat reservations only ( min 10 pax – max 12 pax)
Terms & Conditions
- Deposit required to confirm your booking is US$8000.
- The standard trip price is for 10 people only. We can take an extra 2 people (max of 12) for US$4000 per extra person.
- Trips can be extended for a max of 2 extra nights at US$3750 per night.
- Telo fuel surcharge US$3000
- MENTAWAI SURF TAX this will be payable when final trip balance is due.
- Final balance is due 90 days before sailing.
- No refunds of deposits or payments unless boat does not sail. In the case of cancellation payments may be refunded at the discretion of Addiction Surfing if a replacement booking is obtained.
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
- Travel insurance with inclusion for Medivac is mandatory; details of Policy – Insurance Company and contact details to be forward to us 30 days before departure.
- A current passport with 6 months validity from date of entry to Indonesia required.
- Absolutely no drugs of any kind tolerated. Foreigners caught with drugs may face capital punishment or life imprisonment.
- A completed Personal Trip Form is to be forwarded to us 30 days before departure.
- Padang airport transfers, ground and surfboard handling.
- Surf guide.
- Use of tender for fishing and exploratory trips ashore.
- Use of fishing and snorkling equipment.
- 12 nights fully air-conditioned accommodation onboard.
- 11 days of surfing the top breaks in the Mentawais.
- 3 gourmet meals per day + snacks and fruits.
- Non-alcoholic refreshments such as bottled water, hot drinks soft drinks and juices.
- 24 cans of Bintang per passenger.
- Use of all onboard equipment and amenities.
- 80 foot Power Catamaran.
** Northern Sumatra trips already are subject to a $3000 fuel surcharge.
What’s NOT include:
- Photo Service (always available US$200/person).
- Video Service (only be prior arrangement).
- Airline tickets.
- Fuel Surcharge (if applicable).
- Other Indonesian Taxes which may be levied.
- Travel Insurance (compulsory for all guests, including medivac coverage and coverage for lost charter days).
- Alcoholic Drinks other than Bintang described above. (Passengers are welcome to stock up on beer at local prices prior to departure). Indonesian customs allows the importation of only a single bottle of alcohol per person. Limited wine and spirits may be purchased on board. If requested a wine list can be forwarded for passengers wishing to purchase specific wines and spirits before departure. A minimum of 90 days notice is required for specific orders.
- Tips for the crew. Tips typically start around US$50 and up. If you’ve had a really good time and the crew’s been outstanding, let them know! Please give all tips to the captain for dispersal to the crew.
- Photo and Video Service: The charter has a dedicated full time photographer on board to record you on the best waves of your life. Fee for those who want it is US$200 per person.