Playa Guanico Surf Hostel - Tonosi, Los Santos. Surfing in Panama
Playa Guanico Surf Hostel is located directly at the beach with a breath-taking view on the Pacific Ocean, the green hills of the natural turtle park and the great surf break of Guanico Beach. The camp provides a wide range of accommodations for individuals, backpackers, and groups at different price levels. The bar and lounge create a wonderful mix of chill out atmosphere surrounded by the exotic paradise of Guanico Beach.
We engaged all our efforts to create the ideal location for all travelers. Permanent sun and waves, clean and warm tropical waters together with the friendly people of Los Santos create the chilling atmosphere comparable with summers of California in the late 70ies. All surf spots located in the province of Los Santos have a similar swell exposure like Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Unlike other locations, the province of Los Santos still provides some empty line ups and secret surf spots.
- The bar and lounge
- Ocean view terrace
- Fully equipped backpacker kitchen facility
- Four private double room with a sea and valley view
- One family room with 2 double beds and 2 bunk beds
- One mixed dorm with 6 beds
- One solar beach house, nido del amor, with one double bed
- One beach house, the surfing turtle house with one double bed and a bed sofa
The kitchen is operated by international hotel trainees or volunteers who are pleased to provide delicious breakfast and dinner optionally for extra price.
- We can provide arrangements with experienced surfers and professional surf teachers who can teach in private or small group settings (between 2/3 persons).
- They have you up on a board and smiling in no time.
- Whether you have never surfed before and always dreamed of learning or if you just want to improve your existing skills, they have the coaching that will enable you to reach your goals.
- All surf lessons have to be reserved in advance.
- You can book daily or weekly arrangements
- Kids must be at least 10 years old
Guanico Beach is located in the centre of the “Golden Surfing Triangle” of the province of Los Santos in Panama. You may reach the breaks of Cambutal by car within 25 minutes and Playa Venao within 60 minutes.
Guanico Beach Break: Directly in front of the hostel you find the beach break of Playa Guanico. This wave works with 90 % consistency year round. Playa Guanico picks up swells from all directions and starts working at a swell-size of 1.5 feet. You may find lefts and rights for all level of surfers.
Guanico River Mouth: To the left of rio Guanico, right hander fast and powerfull, works in general with 4 feet and more.
Guanico Point Break: Right from the Beach Break on the other side of river Guanico you may find the point break (walking distance of 15 minutes), starts working with 4 feet. Playa Ostional: Starts working with bigger swells. Various spots, reef and rocky points. Playa Ostional is reachable within 8 minutes by car.
- We provide a good range of SUP s for wave riders to touring fans (9.1 to 12 feet)
- Our amazing mangrove SUP tour is famous and for everybody even if your getting the first Paddle board experience,
- If more interested riding waves ask for SUP-Surf lessons to get the ultimate challenge.
- Dolphin/whale watching (subject of season)
- Scuba dive
- Horse back riding
- Visiting nearby villages
- Turtle watching (subject to season)
LOCATION & GETTING HERE
We are right on the beach, with good left- and right-handers. a few minutes away we have a river mouth and point break that works with bigger swells.
The nearest supermarket is 15 minutes away.
There is a good bus service to Las Tablas/Tonosi from Panama City, the main bus terminal at Albrook. After the comfortable touring bus from Panama City to Las Tablas (around 10USD) you will have to take a cab to the other, local bus terminal to get a ride to Tonosi.
Not all buses to Las Tablas/Tonosi are touring buses, some are coaster buses and have limited storage space for luggage and surf boards.
We recommend traveling these 4 hours from Panama with the touring buses. The coaster from Las Tablas to
Tonosi (around 3.50 USD) will get you there in approx. 50 minutes.
Taxis from Las Tablas direct to Guanico Beach (approx 40-50 USD) are available.
Once in Tonosi, you can take the bus to Guanico Abajo (Guanico Beach) which runs a few times a day and costs around 2 USD per person, each way or take a cab from Tonosi to the beach for about 10 USD.
Also, check our international partner shuttle service from Panamá direct to Guanico Beach (280 USD/up to 4 pax) www.pineappleshuttle.com with also interesting CityTours.
PRICES & PACKAGES
Room prices from 40 – 75 USD
Rooms are for 2 Pax, extra bed 6 USD
AC 10 USD/night
Private Surf classes 40 USD per person
Group Surf classes 30 USD per person