Kandui Surf Charter - Mentawai, Sumatra. Indonesia
Kandui Surf Charters is based in the center of the Mentawai with easy access to tens of the best surfing locations in the world. We will move comfortably between the main locations in our 55’ length Australian designed steel sailing /motor yacht, and thanks to our auxiliary 20’ speedboat we will reach the nearby surf spots easy, fast and comfortably.
Although our yacht is fully operational with the engine that provides up to 9 knots speed, if the wind blow in the suitable direction, you will also live the sailing experience, and our trolling fishing and spear fishing equipment will be the perfect complement for the barbeque placed on the deck.
All this under the supervision of the friendly Captain Alfredo, guide with 45 years of experience as a surfer and 25 years as a captain, 10 of them in Mentawai. Thanks he’s been siling around the world and living 14 years in Indonesia, he speaks fluent Indonesian, English, Spanish and have a large knowledge of the surfing spots, weather, sea conditions, culture, and local people.
Accommodation on board for 8 passengers
- 2 cabins with single beds that can accommodate two people each
- 1 cabin with 4 single beds
- Wooden finishes
- Equipped with air conditioning.
- (Optional an extra cabin for couples with a double bed).
- 2 bathroom with shower
- Living room
- Large sofa
- 32”LCD TV
- MP3 sound system
- Spacious deck
- Different seating areas where you can relax protected from the sun
- The stern has been extended with a steel platform and teak floor making it more spacious, comfortable and providing a suitable place to seat and relax or practice sport fishing.
In our 17m (55’) length and 5,5m (18’) beam Australian designed steel sailing /motor yacht, the use of he sails is totally optional as it is fully operational with the engine that provides up to 9 knots speed. And our auxiliary speedboat will do the access to the nearby surf spots easy, fast and confortable.
Our yacht is perfectly equipped to ensure the safety of their passengers. Have 2 browsers GPS chart plotter, 2 VHS radio, HF SSB Radio, 2 probes deep fish founder, 16 vests and 3 life rafts with capacity for 8 persons each, flares, First aid kit and EPIRB (Emergency Positioning Indicating Radio Beacon).
- Petro, Captain and guide: I was born and raised in the Canary Islands. I have dedicated my life to the sea and started very young as a seaman and later as a fishing captain in my homeland.
With 45 years of experience as a surfer, I surfed for years throughout the world, especially in Africa, the Caribbean and finally in the Indian Ocean, where for 10 years I worked as captain and guide in different boats organizing trips for surfers in Mentawai.
- Hugo, Community manager and supervisor: I started my first steps as a surfer in my hometown, where I worked for years as windsurf and surf instructor. My thirst for waves pushed me to travel around the Cantabrian coast, France, Morocco, the Canary Islands, Fiji and finally Indonesia, where after a long stay in Bali I started a new stage embarked in Balinesia Surf Trips.
Throughout the trip our cook will prepare three meals with an extensive menu, alternating Indonesian cuisine with western dishes; fruit, meat, fish, pasta, cereals, legumes and vegetables. We know how important food is when surf is practiced intensively, so we will ensure that your needs are widely covered. There will always be snacks between meals and free access to soft drinks like tea, coffe, juices and water. You will also have 3 free beers a day and if you wish more, they will be at local price and at your own expenses.
With us you can choose one of the 2 routes that we offer; Mentawai or Telos. Whichever you choose you will have access to the following activities:
- Access to the best wave quality in the world.
- Sport Fishing with our trolling equipment.
- Spear fishing in one of the world’s maritime paradises. (we encourage you bring your own equipment for a better experience)
- We have snorkelling equipment to enjoy the incredible seabed.
- Barbecues on deck or improvised on paradisiac beaches.
- And if you have some time left you can see as many movies as you want.
In This routes you will go through the area with the highest density, quality and wave frequency of the entire planet. Being the perfect place for intermediate and advanced surfers, there are several spots which are ideal for beginners, This wide variety of waves and the richness of its seabed offer an a amaizing alternatives for all who loves to surfing, fishing and spearfishing.
This routes leaves from one of the four mind islands of The Mentawais. That will depends on the day of your arrival. We will pick up our clients there on the FastFerry coming from Padang.
The journey begins with us picking up customers at one of the three ports where Padang’s Fast ferry arrives, this will depend on the day of the week you arrive at the Mentawais.
The rest of the day will be to relax and settle on the boat.
From the second till the day before return
The next morning begins your first day of full 10 surfing days.
Breakfast will be served first thing in the morning and then we will hunt for the best waves with our speed boat.
We will return to the boat to eat and rest, and depending on the preferences of the group, we will go surfing again until just before sunset.
Once on the boat, shower, good dinner, relax and discuss the options about what to do the next morning.
The rest of the days we will follow the same dynamic unless it is necessary to move great distances, in such case we will mobilize the boat preferably while the customers sleep.
Throughout the trip our cook will prepare three meals with an extensive menu, alternating Indonesian cuisine with western dishes; fruit, meat, fish, pasta, cereals, legumes and vegetables.
We know how important food is when surf is practiced intensively, so we will ensure that your needs are widely covered.
There will always be snacks between meals and free access to soft drinks like tea, coffee, juices and water.
You will also have 3 free beers a day and if you wish more, they will be at local price and at your own expenses.
The 11th day, once the group have breakfast and get ready their baggage, we will approach all you by speedboat to one of the ports of the Mentawai to board the fast ferry to Padang at 2 pm, after that you will reach Padang at 6- 7 pm.
LOCATION & GETTING HERE
Mentawai Islands are a chain of about seventy islands and islets located approximately 150 kilometres (93 miles) off the western coast of Sumatra in Indonesia. Being Siberut, Sipura, Pagai North and Pagai South the lager ones.
The Mentawais are one of the most desired destinations for surfers around the world. Being openly exposed to the powerfull and distant storms that occur in the south of the huge Indian Ocean, these paradisiac islands of crystalline waters, receive the great swells with an exceptional constancy and quality throughout the year, being from April to November the largest intensity period of waves.
Located just a few degrees from the equator, the climate is tropical and humid, gentle winds with variable direction, ambient temperatures ranging between 22 and 31ºC and warm waters with an average annual temperature of 28ºC.
Above the Mentawais, just on the equator, we find this summit of 101 islands. Always eclipsed by the fame of the Mentawis, this area has passed almost unnoticed despite the quality of its waves, and as it seems, both resorts and surf guides seem to have a consensus to safeguard this area from the crowds. If you want to surf high quality waves and away from others surfcharters, this is your route.
Both rutes above starts in Mentawais. To get here you have to take the following 2 steps: Step 1, Fly to Padang (PDG) via Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta. Step 2 Take the Padang – Mentawais fastferry.
1º- Fly to PADANG via KUALA LUMPUR or JAKARTA.
Depending on the airline you choose and your place of origin, these are the two routes to get to Padang.
From KUALA LUMPUR (KLP) Air Asia is one of the best options, the duration of the flight is 2: 10h with an approximate cost of 50 USD.
From JAKARTA (JKT) there are flights with Garuda-Indonesia, Citiling, Lion Air and Air Asia, the duration is 1:50h and the price is around 50 USD.
2º- Fastferry PADANG-MENTAWAIS
We know that for some people the journey can be long and exhausting, and an extra help once you arrive at Padang airport is appreciated. So in case you arrive in a group, one of us will be waiting there to help accompany you till you come on board. Otherwise, getting a taxi to Padang is easy.
Important! The Fastferry departs from Padang at 6 am, so the best option is to arrive a day early and spend the night in Padang to get the Fastferry the next morning.
Prices per trip of Mentawai fast:
Ticket price: 295.000 Rp
Includes 15 kg of hand luggage, with a overweight charge of 7,000 Rp per kilo
Boards bags will be charged according to the following:
SMALL Bag max. 10kg Rp.230.0o0 / bag (17USD)
MEDIUM Bag max. 20kg Rp.460.000 / bag (34USD)
LARGE Bag over. 20kg Rp.690.000 / bag (51USD)
We will pick up our customers there, just when they disembark from the FastFerry coming from Padang.
PRICES & PACKAGES
Open calendar from JUNE to NOVEMBER
OUR STANDARD TRIP IS 11 NIGHTS
Price per person 1400 EUR
Maximum 8 people
Price for groups of 6 people or less 8400 Eur
- 11 nights/10 whole surfing days on board of our sailing/motor yacht in the area agreed with our customers if and when the sea conditions permit and the chosen destination can be reached within the duration of the trip.
- Daily transport in speedboat from the boat into the waves and beaches nearby.
- Private cabin with double bed or Shared cabin with single bed and air conditioning.
- 2 bathroom with shower.
- 3 main hearty meals per day, with western and Indonesian food and snacks throughout the day.
- 2 beers a day and rest at local cost.
- Unlimited soft drinks, tea, coffee, juice and water.
- One set of bed linens and towel.
- Use of on board entertainment systems including TV 32 ”, DVD, CD, mp3, movies.
- Surfing guide.
- Basic snorkelling equipment.
- Use of the trolling Fishing equipment.
- Spears for spear fishing.
- Use of the Snorkelling equipment.
- Harbor permits.
- First aid kit.
- Neither management or cost of airline tickets.
- Transfer to and from airport to Padang.
- 3 US$ a day Mentawai government passenger tax.
- Extra nights in Padang.
- Fast ferry to and from Padang or Mentawai.
- Expenses for delays or loss of surfboards by the airlines.
- Expenses of excess baggage or transporting of the surfboards.
- Airport departure fees.
- Money for personal expenses.
- Costs of bank transfers at the time of booking or full payment.
- Photo service (available at extra cost of 200 USD).
- Surfboards repair services.
- Neither boards nor surfing equipment.
- Transfer or evacuation in case of emergency (indispensable travel insurance).
- Travel Insurance MANDATORY for all customers, including medical and evacuation coverage. We suggest http://www.worldnomads.es/