Basque Coast Surfari Surf Camp - San Sebastian to, Hossegor. Spain
Have you ever heard that song Surfing Surfari? It was by the Beatles, or the Beach Boys, or some other group of fossils, not sure, but it had a real good message… “Let’s go surfin’ now, everybody’s learnin’ how, come on a surfari with me.”
We are taking you on a Van Surfari! Including dorm-style accommodation at the Surf House, three hearty meals every day prepared by our in-house chefs, daily surf lessons with experienced guides (board and wet-suit hire included), transfers to the beach break, transfers from Zarautz, San Sebastian pintxo tours and party nights, an awesome crew and an unforgettable experience!
Think about the wonders of a surf trip, combined with the adventure of a safari. Travelling up and down the coast hunting WAVES! Doesn’t that just sound wonderballs!? Well, we put one together: Van Surfari. Well, as put together as an off-the-cuff surf trip can possibly be.
Available on request only.
Let us explain. We have this bus, and this big stretch of surfing coast spanning Spain and France, so what we’re going to do is cruise up and down the coast looking for waves on our Van Surfari. At the end of every day we’ll retreat to our Surf House or at one of our beautiful campsites, grab a beer, chill out and cook dinner.
You’ll be treated to 3 hot meals a day, optional unlimited beer and sangria a day, surf and yoga lessons, a massive backyard, chill-out room with a ping pong table, free WiFi, hot showers, and the best view of the basque countryside imaginable.
At night we’ll drink some beers and trade stories, decide whether we want to go and party, or not, and once the night is done, whichever we chose to do we know we’ll be waking up and cruising the coast looking for more waves.
And in the morning we’re going to head off, taking in the best towns, beaches, tourist attractions and parties this part of the world has to offer. Basically, we’ll be chasing the waves and the biggest kicks. Pretty cool huh!?
We could stop in Hendaye in France for parties, or maybe Hossegor to rub shoulders with the European surfing elite. We’ll spend off days exploring the Pyrenees, or we’ll be eating in the cider houses behind San Sebastian (and drinking a little cider too).
Just like a normal safari, the day’s plan is never set in stone. Our destinations will change depending on the swell but we’ll be up bright and early to eat a healthy breakfast, and then head out on road to search for best waves and the biggest kicks of the day! Our Days are filled with adventure, surfing new locations, amazing scenery and getting the know the local cultures.
We try to fit in as many locations and as much fun as we can swell and conditions permitting. Our knowledge of the areas will ensure that we find a wave suited to you no matter your surfing ability. This is a list of a some places we go on our Surfaris.
San Sebastian, Zarautz, Zumaia (Basque Spain)
- Wake up, healthy breakfast and straight down Zurriola or Zarautz beach nice and early to make the most of those morning summer conditions.
- We will cruise around the old town and maybe a cliff jump if the waves are right, we´ll have some lunch down the beach.
- Then we will make our way to Zumaia to see its incredible rock formations. We can surf and explore and stop off a few bars to top the day off.
- Head back to the camp or house for a chef-prepared meal before spending the night in San Sebastian with a pintxo tour and a bar crawl.
Mundaka, Laga, Bakio (Basque Spain)
- Wake up, healthy breakfast and straight on the road to the Best wave in Europe. If the swell is right, we are out there, if the swell is small we will explain how the famous Mundaka wave works. We will move head further south or north and try our luck to at one of the beautiful beaches nearby Playa Bakio or Playa Laga. Lunch is served at the beach after some surfing fun.
- We will head a little further north and arrive at the magical and legendary chapel of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe. We can take this spectacular walk or sip a cold beer and take in the magnificent view from the grassy knoll nearby.
- Head back to the house of camp for a chef prepared meal or experience the traditional Basque Sidra house dinners as an extra.
Zarautz & Hendaye (Basque Spain & France)
- Wake up, healthy breakfast and straight down Hendaye nice and early to make the most of those morning summer conditions.
- We will cruise around the old town and have a beach lunch
- Then we will make our way to Zarautz for the afternoon glass off and surf while the sun is setting.
- We will spend the rest of the evening sitting on the beach in the summer nights drinking some beers before heading back to base for a chef-prepared dinner.
Biarritz & Tarnos (France)
Wakeup, healthy breakfast and head to the beautiful secluded beach in the South of France called Tarnos, We will have a surf, do some yoga then have some lunch and some beers in the sun.
- Then we will make our way to the Jewel of the west coast… Biarritz. We will take you on boozy walking tour then have a chill and swim at the Petite Plage. We will make our way back to our camp or casa and have another chef-prepared meal and see where the night takes us
- Wake up, healthy breakfast and straight on the road to some world class surf in Hossegor. We will try our luck at one of the famous surf breaks along this stretch of coast or find ourselves a nice sandbank to ourselves in Seignosse.
- Followed by some beach games and a beach lunch.
- We will check out the town that the WSL Quiksilver Pro comes to every year, jump off the bridge into the river on the high tide and observe the bunkers left here after ww2.
- We will make our way back to our camp or casa and have another chef-prepared meal and find where the best live music is in town.
- Wake up, healthy breakfast and straight on the road to the little buzzy town of Moliets.
- We will spend the day surfing the various banks Moliets has to offer, have some lunch and get back out there!
- We will end the evening with our chef prepared dinner and a bit of a fête in town listening to some live music and local djs.
LOCATION & GETTING HERE
We’ll be cruising between Bordeaux in France and Bilbao in Spain, but we can always go further afield if the swell is right!
When the day comes to an end we will either head back to our surf house in Aia or find a rad campsite along way to set up and get amongst the local festivities
Locations in Spain – Zarautz, Zurriola (San Sebastian), Zumaia, Bakio, Laga, Mundaka, Sopelana and San Juan de Gaztelugatxe.
Location in France – Hendaye, Bidart, Biarritz, Tarnos, Hossegor, Anglet, Seignosse, Moliets and Mimizan.
SURF HOUSE, AIA
The Surf House is located in the picturesque town of Aia, just 20 minutes from San Sebastian. Email us to arrange a pickup!
You want to fly to either Bilbao, or Biarritz. Check out Ryanair, Easyjet and Vueling for cheap deal, there’s always plenty of cheap deals.
If you fly to Bilbao:
Buses leave hourly from Bilbao Airport to Zarautz (San Pelaio bus station). Jump on your pre-arranged pickup from there! Bus timetable Or you can catch the Euskotren to San Pelaio Station in Zarautz and get picked up from there!
If you fly into Biarritz:
The best way to get to Surf Camp from Biarritz International Airport take a French SNCF train to Hendaye, change to the nearby Euskotren station (located just outside the SNCF station) and take an Euskotren to San Pelaio, Zarautz for a pick up.
Each train ride is between 30-40 minutes, with the total train trip costing less than €10. A coach service also exists between Biarritz airport and the Hendaye train station, via Saint-Jean-De-Luz (change buses there). The coach ride is less than one hour and costs about €4.
If you fly into San Sebastian:
The best way to get to camp from San Sebastian airport is to take bus e21 or e23 bus from the airport to San Sebastian which run about every 30 minutes. Get off at the Amara bus stop. From here head to San Pelaio Train station via the Euskotren located across the road from Amara station and make sure you let us know when to come and collect you from Zarautz!
RENFE TRAIN – The train station in the centre of San Sebastián the “Estación del Norte”, offers connections to numerous Spanish cities including Madrid and Barcelona, and to international destinations such as Paris and Lisbon. if you arrive by RENFE Train you can then transfer to the EUSKOTREN to make your way to San Pelaio Station for pre arranged pickup from there.
EUSKO TREN – There is also an underground railway, the Metro Donostialdea, a train connection with Bilbao and cities along the Basque Coast, such as Zarautz. The service linking it also Hendaye (France) and the SNCF, french rail service, with Lasarte passing through Donostia. You can catch this train to San Sebastian and Zarautz from Bilbao and From Hendaye which is the last stop on the SNCF train in France. Take it to the San Pelaio Station in Zarautz for a pre arranged pick up.
If you arrive by bus you can either go straight to the Zarautz San Pelaio station, or go to the Donostia station in San Sebastian and transfer to the Euskotrain to San Pelaio for your pre arranged pick up.
To get to San Pelaio Train station in Zarautz simply walk across the road from the bus station to the EUSKOTREN and jump on a train in the direction of Bilbao.
If you arrive by bus in Zarautz, we will collect you from the Bus station, just email us at least 24 hours in advance to arrange.
PRICES & PACKAGES
Basque Coast Surfari
On request only.
Daily Package Includes:
✔ Dorm style or camping style accommodation
✔ Surfboard rental, wetsuits and daily lessons provided
✔ Hearty meals each day (all dietary requirements can be catered for on request)
✔ Transfers to/from San Pelaio Tain/Bus Staion in Zarautz
✔ Surfari transport
✔ Awesome surf guides
✔ Beach games during the days and parties during the nights
✔ Cliff Jumping
✔ Slip n Slide
- Unlimited beer and sangria for only €10 per day.
- Party trips at most stop off points
- Options for rafting, golf, horse riding and private surf lessons
- Cider house tours
- Wine tasting tours
- Brewery tours and Walking tours