King II Surf Charter - West Sumatra, Mentawai. Indonesia
If you want a completely unique surfing experience, the KING II is for you! “..With special amenities to give you more comfort.”
Two chefs chefs on board, wider cabins and lounge area, Wii gaming system on board and optional jet-ski upon request! Length: 19 mt Beam: 7.5m Speed Av. : 12 knots Occupancy: 12 guests (exclusivity 10 pax) – Lifejackets and life raft for up to 20 people. Cabins: 4 large cabins.
The Mentawais are without question one of the best locations on the planet for catching a ridiculous amount of quality waves. In a stunning, tropical location that is at the heart of what we’ve always dreamed, these islands have all the necessary ingredients that create some of the most perfect waves in the world, the ideal playground for surfers.
With excellent exposure to the southern Indian Ocean, the Mentawais offer some of the most consistent surf in the world, welcoming every ounce of swell to unload upon the reefs that protect these beautiful islands. And there is an endless list to describe these waves: flawless, perfect, clean, powerful, world class –take your pick. Toss in the clear, warm water and the wild beautiful scenery and there is only one conclusion: the Mentawais really do have it all.
King Surf Charters sails through Mentawai, Telo, and Nias, depending on the trip. Each trip is based on your specific interests!
SPECIAL OFFER: Trips form 4th to 16th and 17th to 29th for only 2480$ ! For group 9+ people.
“..With special amenities to give you more comfort.”
Two chefs chefs on board, wider cabins and lounge area, Wii gaming system on board and optional jet-ski upon request!
Length: 19 mt Beam: 7.5m Speed Av. : 12 knots Occupancy: 12 guests (exclusivity 10 pax) – Lifejackets and life raft for up to 20 people. Cabins: 4 large cabins featuring independent.
- Air Conditioning
- Living room and kitchen
- Wide living room with dining table, large couches
- 2 bathrooms
- TV screen
- Wii gaming system
- Stereo, Satellite phone, GPS sonar, radar, USB radio. ..
- Auxiliary dinghy to ferry the clients to the waves and the islands
- Jet-ski (upon request)
- .. Fruit juice, bottled water and soft drinks are unlimited. Each guest receives two free beers a day; additional alcoholic beverages are available at cost.
The chefs on board prepares 3 meals per day plus a variety of snacks in between meals so all our guests can get a healthy diet. The meals are based around fresh local produce such as fish, fruit, vegetables, pasta and meat. The chefs cook both European and Asian cuisine so our guests can sample some delicious Indonesian food.
We all speak English and treat the guests such that they feel at home. We have been working for years with customers from all nationalities and combined (David and Poti) we have many years of experience in the Mentawai, Telo and Nias islands. We speak several languages fluently (French, English, Spanish, Bahasa Indonesia, Portuguese).
Check the package session and calendar… Ask for a quote!
12 Days/11 nights: 2950,-USD * per person
While the Mentawais produce some of the most consistent and amazing waves the planet offers, they can also claim to have quite a large variety of breaks. The countless islands scattered throughout this pristine tropical environment hold vast amounts of sheltered bays, coves and reefs that generate every type of wave imaginable, due in part to the refractive nature of swells which allows them to bend and wrap around any obstacle they encounter. The high profile spots such as Lances Right, Macaronis, Rags Right, E-Bay, Rifles and Thunders speak for themselves but there are just as many lesser known breaks ranging from fun walls to long peeling barrels.
The majority of the waves in the Mentawais are best suited for the intermediate to advanced surfers but there are several spots which are ideal for beginners, making the Mentawais a destination for anybody who loves to surf. Because the Mentawais sit near the equator they are less affected by the trade winds, so most of the time the winds will be light and variable with plenty of glassy days. Although a few land-based surfcamps have sprouted up in the last few years adjacent to some of the better known breaks, the best way to access so many waves spread out over such a large area is by charter boat. Crowds can be a factor at the top spots, and occasionally you might find yourself sharing a break with another boat. Boats do maintain respect for one another, but with a knowledgeable and experienced captain and such a diversity of breaks you will definitely stumble upon plenty of empty waves for you and your crew.
Best Time To Go
The Mentawais have without a doubt some of the best waves in the world. They also have excellent exposure to the south and southwest swells moving up from the southern Indian Ocean and this means a consistency factor that is unmatched. The main swell season normally begins in late April/May and continues through September/October, with the wave height jumping up a notch from June to September. During this time the waves will stay in the overhead to double overhead range with some occasionally bigger days. That being said, the Mentawais could easily be considered a year round destination, as even during what are considered the slower season months of November thru March/February there is still plenty of surf in the head high range thanks to a very active Indian Ocean that churns out low pressure systems on a regular basis.
- Hideaways: A top-to-bottom lefthander that will get very hollow on a low tide.
- Nokandui: One of the more difficult waves in the islands. This is a very fast and barreling lefthander that has plenty of critical sections and is not always makeable. Tends to shut down at the end but you’ll spend lots of time in the barrel before you get there.
- Rifles: A very long, fast and intense righthander and one of the standout waves in the Mentawais when it’s on. When it gets a few feet overhead it turns into a barreling machine and you’ll be racing to make the sections as you fly down the line.
- 4 Bobs: A more forgiving righthander that has a quick little barrel on the takeoff.
Zone: Nyang Nyang
- Pitstops: A fun righthander immediately adjacent to E-Bay that ends on a sandy beach. Nipussi: Just inside of Bankvaults, this is a fun and rippable righthander that stays fairly consistent. Breaks in deep water and finishes close to the beach.
- E-Bay: With a stunning backdrop this quick lefthander stands up on the takeoff and has a nice, fast barrel down the line. Not the longest wave but definitely a great option if the swell is on the rise.
- Bank Vaults: A thumping, shallow righthander that provides plenty of tube time.
- Lance’s Left: A consistently lefthander that peels down the point and offers plenty of carvable sections and sometimes a few barrels when it gets big.
- Lance’s Right: The famous righthander that starts barreling on the takeoff and doesn’t stop barreling until it reaches the channel. Can be fickle at times as it likes to have all the conditions in its favor before putting on a show. Larger swells can be tricky and the end bowl can be difficult to read at times so stay focused or you might pay your dues on the shallow reef.
- Telescopes: A sweet lefthander that wraps down the reef with long walls. Not too many sections to navigate and can get really solid on a big swell.
- Macaronis: The reigning wave in the Mentawais. This stellar lefthander has a powerful barrel on the take off and then a carvable wall for plenty of maneuvers. It is one of the more lined up waves in the islands and can get shallow while offering tube time along the way.
- Rags Right: A challenging and hollow righthander that will turn into a smoking wave if the conditions are right.
- Thunders: A consistent lefthander that likes a lot of size in the swell. The outside has a fast hollow tube before it eases up on the inside section.
LOCATION & GETTING HERE
The Mentawais are without question one of the best locations on the planet for catching a ridiculous amount of quality waves. In a stunning, tropical location that is at the heart of what we’ve always dreamed, these islands have all the necessary ingredients that create some of the most perfect waves in the world, the ideal playground for surfers. With excellent exposure to the southern Indian Ocean, the Mentawais offer some of the most consistent surf in the world, welcoming every ounce of swell to unload upon the reefs that protect these beautiful islands. And there is an endless list to describe these waves: flawless, perfect, clean, powerful, world class –take your pick. Toss in the clear, warm water and the wild beautiful scenery and there is only one conclusion: the Mentawais really do have it all.
The Mentawais are a chain of lush, tropical islands lying about 100 miles off the west coast of Sumatra in the Indian Ocean. They are considered part of the Sumatera Province, of which Padang is the capital, and are separated from Sumatra, Indonesia’s largest and northern most island, by the Mentawai Strait. There are approximately seventy islands, consisting of four major islands and many numerous smaller islands and islets that spread out in a northwest-southeast direction for nearly 200 miles. Siberut is the largest and northern most of these islands and lies just across the Strait from Padang, the launching point for all charter boats heading to this surfing paradise.
The Mentawais are basically sitting on the equator and therefore stay hot and humid all year round with very little change in temperature. Temperatures range between 72°- 90° F (22°- 32°C). The water temperature is a steady 80°F(27°C).The Mentawais have a dry season which runs from February to October and a wet season from November to January. This being the tropics rain does occur during the dry season as occasional squalls and storm showers make their way thru this region
The port city of Padang is launching point for Mentawai surf charters and boat transfers to the resorts.
Padang Airport (PDG) Daily flights to Jakarta, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur (Garuda Airlines) 30-Day visitor visa is not longer required (EU, US, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand citizens). You only should purchase Visa on Arrival if you are planning on extending it in the Immigration office for another 30 days.
Malaria treatment required.
To bring with you for the trip :
- Travel insurance
- Passport with 6 month validity
- Passport photocopy
- 8GB USB Flash Drive for the photos and videos
- In case of e-ticket, a printed copy of your itinerary
- Personal first aid kit
- Cash (Euros or USD)
- Cash Rupias for porters (recommended in case of big luggage, e.g. 20000 IDR)
- Airport taxes to leave the country cost 150000IDR, for internal flight 30000IDR
PRICES & PACKAGES
There is a dinghy aboard each boat that shuttles guests from the boat to the waves. There are three trips to choose from – Mentawai, Mentawai and Telo, or Telo and Nias.
West of Sumatra. There are four large islands. These islands include world famous surf sports such as Hollow Trees, Maccaronis, Rifles, Greenbush and Nokanduis. This area satisfies surfers of any expertise. There are large reefs, light winds and long swells. The best time of year to visit Mentawai is April to October, when the swells are larger. This is also the most popular season. November through March there are also great waves, though smaller, and it is less crowded.
Mentawai and Telo
The Mentawai + Telo trip includes Central Mentawai (from the South of Sipora island, where Lance’s Right and Lance’s Left are found), North Mentawai (Playground area) and all the way to the northern tip of the Telo islands. This trip includes Rifles, Nokandui, Ebay, Telescopes, Dt’s, Siperanu and Pasti in Telo. This trip is well suited for people who want to surf lots of uncrowded waves with a group of friends.
Telo and Nias
This trip covers the whole Telo archipelago and southern Nias including the Hinako islands. Due to the difficult access of this area, there are very few boats, but there are plenty of waves. This means you will have lots of room for uncrowded surfing. This trip is perfect for those who have already been to Mentawai.
Please note, the captains of your boat will choose the specific spots you will stop at and surf during the trip. Weather conditions, other boats, and the surfers on the trip will all be factors on where surfing will take place.
12 Days/11 nights On Board of King II : 2950,-USD * per person
The package includes:
- The boat trip, 11 surfing days, 12 nights.
- 3 meals a day, snacks, water, hot drinks, juice, soft drinks. Beer (two per day per passenger).
- Snorkeling gear, visits to the islands and fishing gear.
- Transport from/to the airport, hotel and boat.
- All the permits needed to go to Mentawai, Telo and Nias.
- Single bed in an air conditioned cabin.
- First aid kit.
- Use of the dinghy to ferry the passengers to the waves, to the beaches and islands or to go fishing.
Jet ski is available to rent:
- 2000 USD per group for the full trip
- 120 USD per hour
SPECIAL OFFER: Trips form 4th to 16th and 17th to 29th for only 2480$ ! For group 9+ people.